Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Pella, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating in Pella a call to begin. Contact our team at 641-628-3621 or book an appointment with us online.