Spring is in the air here in Pella and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating in Pella a call at 641-628-3621.