According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating in Pella about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating. A yearly evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clean.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Pella home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating at 641-628-3621 or make an appointment online.