The fluctuating weather in Pella can mean a host of things, from the changing seasons to flicking off the switch of your air conditioner for the cooler months. Of course, total home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re headed for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner quits working or you notice it acting oddly, there are four things you can check on before calling in the experts at Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating for AC repair. Here are four troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a ring.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the easiest checks that homeowners can do themselves, and could solve the problem more than they’d like to admit. Make sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Utilizing a fresh battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act out of the ordinary, making them shut down without notice and without making a noise. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for a lot of AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can exchange it yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and reduces airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Close to the air conditioner itself and normally look like your stereotypical light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Identify the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then re-set it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A routine blunder among homeowners is to close vents in unoccupied rooms, but this may actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents could potentially cause your system to be less efficient and stop working because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve done these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back operating, it’s probably time to give us a ring. The pros at Van Haaften Plumbing & Heating in Pella are here to ensure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 641-628-3621 to set up an appointment with us.